The Ministry of Employment, Labour and Productivity is one of the new Ministries created by the present Administration under Dr. Olusegun Mimiko, The Ministry is the only one that was not carved out of the existing Ministries.
It was established to create sustainable employment for all unemployed citizens of Ondo state including the physically challenged, the less privileged and the vulnerable.
The need to urgently address unemployment in the state cannot be overemphasized in light of recent statistics and reports of surveys and studies. For instance, a recent Statistics show that about 50million Nigerians are living in abject poverty as a result of unemployment out of which 70% are youths. In addition, A survey by the national bureau of statistics (NBS) in 2006 revealed that unemployment in Ondo state especially among the youth aged 15- 24 was 17.3%
The Ministry of Employment, Labour and Productivity is to therefore formulate and implements policies of governments that will guarantee the people of Ondo state equal and impartial opportunities in all facets of human endeavour in order to benefit equitably from the resources of the state.
In summary, the major functions of the Ministry of Employment, Labour and productivity are:-
- To register and keep a database of the unemployed the vulnerable and the old.
- To adopt a pragmatic and cost effective ways and means of tacking unemployment and poverty in the state such that the positive impact of government activities on the lives of the people of the state can be seen and felt by everybody within a short time.
- To achieve true, efficient and effective employment strategies that will create employment and equal opportunity in the state.
- To develop and implement a social security scheme in the state that will ensure that no citizen goes to bed hungry.
- To increase productivity of all artisans, the employable and women.
- To provide a sustainable operating environment for speedy entrepreneurial development and generation of employment;
- To encourage people to willingly engage in selfless social services;
- To ensure easy access to low rate credit facilities for the small and medium scale entrepreneurs;
- In conjunction with other relevant MDAs, the Ministry is to design and implement monitoring of government assisted projects as they affect employment and productivity;
- To liase with MDAs, Office of the Head of service, State and Federal Agencies, private sectors in the areas of staff employment, development and capacity building;
- To ensure deliberate policy to empower women folk.
STRUCTURE OF THE MINISRTY
The Ministry consists of five (5) Departments namely;
- Department of Entrepreneurial Training and Employment Generation (DETEG)
- Department of Social Security Scheme.
- Department of Labour and industrial Relations
- Planning Research and Statistics Department.
- Finance and Administration Department
The Ministry also oversees two (2) Agencies namely
- Micro-Credit Agency (OSMA)
- Wealth Creation Agency (WECA)